Do I Need a Divorce Lawyer in Texas?
Getting a divorce can be one of the most traumatic experiences of an adult life. It can also be financially draining, emotionally devastating, and put a strain on many of your other relationships as well. During this time, it might be tempting to try to save some money and navigate your divorce on your own. Especially if your soon to be ex-partner agrees, it may truly seem like the right way to go. A simple internet search will uncover loads of information on how to do just that. In fact, using the services of a divorce lawyer is not required to legally obtain a divorce in Texas. But, as with many other things in life, just because something is legal, does not necessarily make it a smart decision. Read on to discover some of the most common issues that arise during divorce proceedings and why it is in your best interest to hire a divorce lawyer if you are considering a divorce in Texas.
What Will a Divorce Lawyer Do for Me?
Divorce effects so many aspects of a person’s life, from losing a partner to custody and visitation of children as well as property settlements, retirement, and the division of outstanding bills and other financial accounts. Add a significant amount of emotional upheaval to the mix, and it creates a breeding ground for emotionally charged decisions and mistakes that can be costly to undo, if it is even possible to repair them at all. Avoiding the additional cost of a lawyer may seem like a good idea at first, but there are many things a divorce lawyer can do, that may prove difficult to do on your own.
- Avoid Delays: One reason to consider using a divorce lawyer is to minimize or even avoid delays. There are certain requirements that must be met before an initial divorce petition can even be filed, including rules and restrictions regarding county and state residency. In addition, there are many other legalities and requirements that, if not handled and addressed properly in the beginning, may require going back and addressing before a divorce can be granted. All of this can be researched and handled on your own, but will require a great deal of time, and the likelihood of making a mistake is high. Hiring a divorce lawyer to do this for you greatly decreases the chances of any major delays for your divorce.
- Reduce Mistakes: Using the services of a divorce lawyer also greatly minimizes the chances of any major mistakes that might not only delay the proceedings but could have a huge impact on your life. For instance, you may neglect to address important issues related to child custody, pensions, property related concerns, or a whole host of other issues that could potentially cause major problems down the line. A good divorce lawyer knows what to look for and can mitigate these problems in advance, making for a much smoother divorce and less headache in the future.
- Less Stress: The upheaval of divorce is stressful enough without having to worry about filing the correct paperwork and making sure all requirements are submitted with the right information and in a timely manner. A good divorce lawyer will not only ensure the proper completion and filing of all-important documents but can also be your voice of reason when emotions become charged or your ex-partner makes a surprise attack or an unexpected decision. When going through a divorce, a good support system is paramount. A divorce lawyer can be an integral part of that team.
- Ongoing Support: Divorce related issues do not necessarily end after the papers have been signed and the judge gives final approval. Oftentimes, parties return to court months, or even years, afterward to address things left out of the initial proceedings or to adjust things such as child support orders or custody agreements. Your divorce lawyer will be familiar with your case and can be an ally and an asset long after the ink has dried on your divorce decree.
- Asset Recovery: A divorce lawyer can use tried and true tactics to ensure that all assets are uncovered and available for division and distribution during this trying time. An experienced lawyer will work with you to ensure you are given your fair share of marital property and that all assets that you are legally entitled to are considered. Without the services of an attorney, it might be easy to miss some of these important assets or even to disregard certain tax implications that might cause serious problems down the line.
- Ignorance is Not Bliss: When it comes down to it, we literally don’t know what we don’t know. Making potentially life altering decisions based on information we dig up on the internet or find in the library could have serious long-term consequences. While it’s important to be as educated as possible regarding the process, there are times when it makes sense to consult an expert. Hiring a divorce lawyer will help to ensure that every important decision made is working in your best interest.
Hiring a Texas Divorce Lawyer is a Smart Decision
When it comes to something as life changing as a divorce, there’s no room for mistakes. It’s essential to have competent people on your team that can provide much needed support and ensure your case is handled with professionalism and respect. A good divorce lawyer will assist in minimizing stress and avoiding careless mistakes. Why take the risk of going it alone, when there is assistance available to help you successfully navigate this difficult chapter in your life?
If you are interested in learning more about hiring an experienced divorce lawyer in Texas, please contact The Overstreet Law Firm at (817) 809-6643 today. We can provide a comprehensive consultation as well as provide all the information you need to make the best decision for your personal needs.